1. Gabe Dixon Band: Their self-titled album was given to me while I was performing on the cruise ship by Laura. It is some of the best writing. I always refer to this album as the best car-driving music in the world. Period. You MUST get this album. I have had more friends fall in love with this music... you will, too!
2. Andrew Peterson: This is the most recent addition to my life soundtrack, but his "Counting Stars" album has some great storytelling and melodies.
3. The Weepies: I know the name sounds so forlorn and hipster-ish, but The Weepies are a charming duo with a really unique sound. Their music has been used in a lot of soundtracks. My favorites of theirs are spread over three albums so I can't recommend one in particular. Take some time to listen on Itunes and find your favorite! Ok- I can't help it... a few song faves... "Somebody Loved," "World Spins Madly On," "They're in Love, Where am I," and "Gotta Have You."
4. The Wailin Jennys: Again with the name, I know.... The Wailin Jennys are a trio of some of the most pure female voices I've ever heard. They have incredible abilities to tune and sing some excellent, simple tunes. Take a listen to some of their live albums. It's ridiculous. I also LOVE the album "Firecracker."
5. Ben Sollee: Ben is from Kentucky and is an incredibly talented writer and CELLIST! He strums, bows, and picks the cello and all the while produces some of the best folk music around.
6. Crossroads: Yup- Crossroads as in my church in Cincinnati. The best part about their music is that it's all FREE and able to be downloaded from their website. Whether you are a Christian or not you will certainly appreciate the music and the fact that it is actually well written and recorded by talented musicians. This ain't your typical praise chorus, people! Some of my faves of theirs are "Clearly," "When Freedom Comes," "Run, "This Is, and "Rebuild."
There are a lot more that I would love to mention, but that's a good starter! Below is a song that I probably listen to a couple times per week. Sara Groves' music is excellent, but this song in particular connects to me in such a great way. It gives a feeling of connectedness between all Christians from me to the Apostles to Mother Teresa. There is certainly a feeling of "if they can live like that why can't I?" in the song that I love. Hope you enjoy!
Happy day! Live rejoicing,