HEY! I'M TRIPP AND I'M HEADED OFF TRYING TO MAKE IT AS A MUSICAL THEATRE PERFORMER. I'M CHASING AFTER BIG DREAMS AND GETTING TO HAVE A BLAST ALL ALONG THE WAY! COME ALONG FOR THE RIDE AND SEE WHAT CRAZY THINGS I END UP DOING AND THE FANTASTIC CHARACTERS I WILL MEET ALONG THE WAY! FOR PREVIOUS ADVENTURES.... TRIPPAROUNDTHEWORLD.BLOGSPOT.COM AND OFFEXPLORING.BLOGSPOT.COM

Friday, May 27, 2011

Booked!

I know, I know.... as per usual, I have taken a leave of absence from my blog for over a month. I am sorry, oh blog followers. I wish I was more consistent, but alas... I am happy with updating when I do and that's just how it is. Ha ha! So much news. Last time we met I wrote about my time in the big bad city of New York and what my life as an auditioner is like there. This business is the toughest thing around, but it will not get the better of me. In the month that I was in the city, I successfully booked 3 fantastic and exciting projects that will keep me employed through June 3, 2012! I am literally stunned to even see that in writing. Persistence, preparation, and consistency must be the keys to booking jobs in the business of show. I have juggled, trudged, balanced, and plowed my way as much as possible and here I am... already working (and about to complete) my first of those few jobs!
First up is Gateway Playhouse, where I am currently performing as Snowboy in one of the greatest pieces of musical theatre, "West Side Story!" I had my eye on this project as far back as being on tour and after open calls, invited calls, and lots of negotiating, I was able to come and work on the piece. We are blessed with an incredibly enthusiastic, passionate director and a cast that is to die for. When people have asked me about this show I have officially stated that it's the HARDEST show I have ever done in my life. Emotionally, it takes you every night to such an intense place, but physically... forget it. I literally have to pray my way through some of the numbers each night. There is just one huge dance number after another. J-Ro (Jerome Robbins) wasn't kidding when he put this thing together! 10 minutes of dance in the prologue, dance at the gym, 10 minutes in "Cool", 10 minutes in the ballet.... UGH! It never lets up, but I am so thrilled to be a part of it. I have lots of fun little features and the show has gotten nothing but legitimate RAVES from critics. So proud to tell this story every night.
Beyond the show, though, Gateway has been a really fun time. The cast is such a great group and between cookouts, wing nights, blackouts, lobster bakes, movie nights, Derby pie, and a huge Berry Hampton BBQ... we have covered the bases! I have made some amazing friends and I will be terribly sad to say goodbye to them soon. Visits from Berry Hampton, Marilyn Corbin, and friends from the city were so great. Gateway Playhouse is a unique place, for sure. The rundown buildings, living in the "coop", and the village of Bellport are just a few of the great things contributing to this charmed little experience. Ha ha! What a trip.
Next I will be heading home (spending my first June at home since 2003!!!) for 5 weeks, 3 of which will also include my big sister and newest nephew, Jonah! I can't believe that we are all going to be under one roof for so long... this could get interesting!
From there I head up to Ogunquit Playhouse July 5-August 20, where I will be performing in the quartet of "Music Man." This show is very special to me, since it was my big musical senior year of high school in 2005. I am so excited to explore it again and be in Maine, a state I have yet to explore! After Ogunquit I start rehearsals for the national tour of "South Pacific," a show I fell in love with because of its most recent Broadway revival at the Lincoln Center. I took many friends to see that show because I thought it was so incredibly beautiful, and now I am THRILLED to be part of that production team and get to work on this great piece. The tour will be ALL OVER the states, so watch out for an itinerary and for us to be stopping in a city near you!

Alright- that's a pretty good update. Be watching as I try my best to stay on top of the blog over the next few weeks! Thanks, valued reader... Love ya!
Tripp

No comments:

Post a Comment